Driving in any big city can be quite overwhelming and stressful. If you have already attempted driving through New York City, you know that the volume of vehicles, obscure streets and noise create very different driving conditions from what you are used to. Remain calm, maintain a lawful speed and stay alert.
These are some easy tips to follow while driving through the city that can help make your experience safer and less stressful:
1. Check your rear view mirrors every 10-20 seconds
2. Be aware of all cars, bikes and pedestrians around you
3. Merge slowly and smoothly into the traffic stream when changing lanes and use your blinkers - make sure you have enough room and be extra cautious of blind spots
4. Always maintain a safe driving distance - due to more frequent and sudden stops it is important to leave more room in between you and the car in front of you
5. Never assume that cross-street traffic will stop - be ready to break and slow down to ensure you can enter the intersection safely
6. Be extra careful when the streets are wet from snow or rain - accelerate and brake slowly to avoid slipping
7. Never drive erratically or make sudden turns, lane changes or stops - consider public transportation if you are uncomfortable with the driving conditions
Exercise these tips in the big city for a safe & fun trip.
Contact Carriage Trade Insurance to learn more about our Auto Insurance options.